Thursday, September 11, 2008

Broccoli Soup in the Slow Cooker

I really worry about us all missing out on calcium being dairy-free. You might have noticed I sneak sesame seeds into a lot of stuff. I went to the dentist on Monday and he said my teeth were certainly very healthy but my gums are receding and I may have bone loss. Yet another side effect of coeliacs disease. So I'm off to get x-rays to check on my poor old bones, and in the meantime am on antibiotics to clear up any infections in my gums.

Back to calcium! For anyone on a dairy free diet, there ARE ways to still get enough calcium.
Leafy greens are good (bok choy is best!), blackstrap molasses and sesame seeds are high in calcium. And soy beans and soy milk contain lots too! I found a very helpful list, which shows you how much calcium you're getting from alternative sources here.
Broccoli Soup.
4 "trees" of broccoli
2 large potatoes
2 litres vegetable stock
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 cloves of garlic, crushed

Cook in slow cooker for 6 hours (low) or 3 hours (high).
Puree in blender. Then serve or freeze.

2 comments:

Being Me said...

This looks soooo yummy! Oh PoV where have you been all my daughter's life!??! I will have to follow you now if my quick glance at your recent GFDF recipes and talk is anything to go by..... Hope you don't mind.

Yay! She can stay dairy free for a while longer yet! (I'm intolerant, she has the tendencies, and is on sheep's yoghurt but that's about it in terms of "dairy")

Thanks. I was getting SO over the same few meals and am tearing my hair out with worry that her calcium isn't coming from enough food sources.

Paragon~Of~Virtue said...

:)
Glad I could help someone!

Jacqui