Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Garlic Chicken Risotto.


This risotto is absolutely basic, and simply delish! The great thing about risotto is all that time you spend stirring, gives you a little bit of daydreaming/thinking time. Which as a solo parent, I don't get very much of.

Garlic Chicken Risotto.
500 grams skinless chicken breasts, cubed
8 cloves garlic, crushed
olive oil
4 cups vegetable stock (warm)
2 cups arborio rice

Gently heat the oil and saute the garlic. Add the chicken and brown. Remove from pan and put aside. Pour rice into pan and stir until coated with oil (you may need to add a dash of oil). Heat until rice becomes somewhat translucent. Then add a cup of stock and stir until absorbed by the rice. Continue adding stock a cup (or ladle) at a time until it is absorbed. The rice is ready when nice and plumped but al dente in the middle. Pop the chicken back in the pot. Stir through and dinner is ready!

I have to say, this Gluten and Dairy free gig hasn't been all that hard. Dishes like this risotto have been part of my cooking repertoire for years. Other dishes we've frequently made have only had to have parts replaced. Now that we've found a great GFCF Cheese, we are once again enjoying nachos and tacos. With the help of ready made gluten free flours, pizzas, pikelets and cakes have become simple. And with Summer on it's way I am looking forward to eating a lot of salads and fruit. I am ashamed to admit that I don't eat any fruit. I buy it for the kids but I've never really got into it myself. So I have plans to make use of melons (cantelope and honeydew) for breakfasts. And I'm going to learn how to use my own barbecue!

No comments: