Thursday, August 14, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie - Gluten Free Goodness ;)




After paying exorbitant amounts for some gluten-free baked goods yesterday, I decided the time had come to get my bottom into gear and try a few recipes for pastry.

I'd tried packet mixes, but found them crumbly and dry. So I put Google to work and discovered the website for "The Cook and The Chef" on ABC TV. In 2006 (Series 1) they did a show dedicated to "Catering for different diets". Maggie Beer has concocted the MOST AWESOME GF PASTRY RECIPE EVER!

It was easy and it worked beautifully. The only thing I changed was I used Nuttelex instead of butter and it was fine.

So now that I was armed with a wonderful pastry, I gazed into the refrigerator for inspiration for fillings. I had some lovely free range chicken breasts and mushrooms which sounded great to me. So here's my recipe for Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie.
500 grams chicken breast
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tablespoon canola oil
8 mushrooms
2 teaspoons Vegeta vegetable stock
1/2 cup of diced vegetables ( we used peas and corn kernels...so not diced per se)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cornflour (make sure it is made from corn, not wheat!!!)

In a saucepan, heat the oil and add crushed the garlic. Add the chicken and cook until browned. Slice up mushrooms and stir in.
Stir vegetable stock into water and pour into pan. Throw in vegetables. Cook covered for about 5 minutes. When vegetables are tender remove from stove. With a slotted spoon remove ingredients and place into pie dish (which already has the pastry on it, ok?). Return the liquid to the stove and add cornflour. Mix quickly until blended and allow to thicken to gravy consistency. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
Pop pastry on top and seal edges. Bake in oven for 25 minutes at 210 decrees Celsius.



2 comments:

Vittoria said...

I found you through your post to Karina (the Gluten-Free Goddess) and I just read your whole story from the beginning. You sound like such a great mom! Welcome to gluten free blogging.

Vittoria

Paragon~Of~Virtue said...

Thanks Vittoria *blush*.
Karina's blog has been an absolute life saver. Yours looks familiar too!

Jacqui