Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Knock Knock!

What better way to end a cold winter's day than a plate full of comfort food? Tonight we had the best gluten free gnocchi I think I have ever made. I find making gnocchi from scratch therapeutic and it always tastes better than bought stuff.

Here's my recipe:

Sweet Potato and Potato Gnocchi.
4 large potatoes, peeled, boiled, cooled then mashed.
1 medium sweet potato peeled, steamed, cooled then mashed.
1.5 cups Orgran All Purpose flour.
1/3 cup warm water.
3 heaped teaspoons Orgran "No Egg".

Put cool mashed potato and sweet potato in a large mixing bowl.
Beat "No Egg" into warm water with a fork. Add to mixing bowl.
Add flour to mixing bowl.
Work into a dough consistency with a spoon or spatula.
Tip out onto well-floured work surface.
Knead for 5 minutes until you have a nice smooth dough. Cut off little bite sized pieces and roll into little egg shaped balls. Pop into freezer for 30 minutes to "chill".

When ready to cook, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Gently lower about 20 gnocchi pieces in at a time. They will sink. They will dance. They will float about on top. After floating for about a minute, retrieve with a slotted spoon and place in a colander to drain further. To prevent sticking, drizzle with olive oil.

Super Easy Sauce for Mums on the run!
One large tin of crushed tomatoes.
Garlic (crushed), basil and oregano to taste.
Gently saute garlic in saucepan in a little olive oil. Add herbs then tomato.
Taste. Add more herbs if necessary. Gently ladle over gnocchi. Eat! Enjoy! This should probably feed up to 2 adults and 4 kids as we had a lot left over!

Authors note:
My children and I ate from the plate pictured. "Huh?" I hear you thinking. Yes, we eat from a communal plate and here is a few reasons why:
  1. Bridie can have her own plate which has exactly what I am eating but still refuse to eat hers and want mine.
  2. There is less dishes.
  3. It reminds me of my childhood on "fish and chip" night where the meal was unwrapped and the paper was spread over the table. Sauce was squirted onto the paper for dipping and later, easy clean-up.
  4. The kids see the food is good because I am eating it.
  5. It aids interaction at the meal table, which I find important with a toddler and an autistic older child.
And I simply have to add Torin's first joke he told and understood.
"Knock, knock"
"Who's there?"
"Water"
"Water who?"
"Water you talking about???" LOL!


No comments: